Sarah Jane


Get a Voki now!

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

(My) Season Opener

Last Monday, I attended my first Yankee game of the season.  I was lucky enough to have off the Monday and Tuesday following Easter, so Paul and I thought it would be a great time to get to our first game of the year.  We quickly logged onto StubHub as soon as we realized the Yanks were playing the White Sox at home.

On our way to the stadium, with all of the directions jumbled in our heads on how to get to Geneseo, Manhattan College, and other frequently visited northern destinations, we inadvertently got mixed up and did not approach the stadium from the same way we usually do.  Because of this, we had a hard time locating the parking lot that we prefer to park in for easy exit from the stadium.  Luckily, we circumnavigated the stadium enough times to finally find it!   

Once inside, we reluctantly climbed to the highest deck of the stadium to our seats.  Although the hike may have been long, I was really quite impressed with our $4.99 StubHub seats.  The new stadium was designed in such a way that even though we were up so high, we still felt close to the field and were able to see everything.  That being said, these seats certainly did not beat the views we got last summer when we toured Yankee Stadium.  The tour is something I would definitely recommend – it was a relatively inexpensive way to see things in the stadium that we never would have seen otherwise.


*Stadium - a sports arena, usually oval or horseshoe-shaped, with tiers of seats for spectators

*Jumbled - to be confused mentally due to a large amount of mixed up information

*Inadvertently – Unintentionally; not done on purpose

*Destination - the place to which a person or thing travels or is sent

*Locate - to identify or discover the place or location of something or someone

*Circumnavigate - to go or maneuver around

Vocabulary Practice

1.  I wonder if the kids that I mentioned in my last blog were looking to ________________ the globe when they took their father’s boat from the harbor!

2.  Would you mind helping me ________________ my glasses?  I believe I left them in this room.
3.  Their next vacation ________________ is to Montego Bay, Jamaica.

4.  When travelling, I like to visit local baseball ________________ to see the different layouts of the arenas.

5.  The waiter was pouring water into our glasses and ________________ dropped the entire pitcher on the table!

6.  At times, when I give my students a math test, the information seems to be ________________ in their heads and it is difficult to decipher which rules need to be applied to the problems.

Adverbs

An adverb is a part of speech whose function is to modify or describe any other part of speech besides a noun.  The questions that adverbs usually answer include, how?, in what way?, when?, where?, and to what extent?  In English, adverbs typically end in the suffix –ly, as seen in the words quickly, rapidly, or nicely.  A frequently used adverb that does not end in –ly is well. 

Add more description to the sentences below by filling in the blank with an adverb.

1. I colored the picture _______________ to make sure I did not go outside of the lines.
2. He ran off ______________ in attempt to make it to school on time.
3. I am not feeling ___________; I have a high fever and a cough.
4. Please speak __________ so that the students can better understand you.

No comments:

Post a Comment