Sarah Jane


Get a Voki now!

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Current Events and the Classroom

As future TESOL professionals, many of us have a heightened sense of cultural sensitivity.  This added sense of cultural awareness is as critical today as ever before, especially considering the recent current events. 

Although I am a special ed teacher, my current schedule has me teaching 8th grade inclusion social studies.  When I was assigned this course for the first time last year, I was terrified that I would not be knowledgeable enough in the curriculum to be able to teach it, as I struggled with history throughout my academic career.  To my relief, I found that it was much easier for me to relearn the content than I had expected, perhaps due to the fact that I have a greater appreciation for history as an adult.  The increased amounts of life experience and background knowledge that I have gained since middle school certainly help also. 

All of this being said, I was nervous about going into work the day after the announcement of Osama bin Laden’s death because I was worried that the kids would be asking questions that I did not know the answers to.  As I mentioned previously, my background is in special education, not history.  It takes a great wealth of understanding of history to be able to explain to students the situations in which the United States finds itself today.  I was also worried that some students would not be as culturally sensitive to their Muslim peers as I expect them to be.  My co-teacher and I always go to great lengths to explain that the US is involved in a war on terror, not on the religion of Islam, and we certainly hope that this is ingrained in our students. 

One of the main reasons that I have chosen to blog about this topic is so that I can share with all of you a very well written article that provides students with background information about Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda, as well as the impact of bin Laden’s death on the United States.  I find that is always a challenge to discuss current events with students because they sometimes lack the necessary facts to understand what is going on presently.  This article does a great job of providing students with a basis for discussion in a clear, respectful way.


*Aware - informed; alert; knowledgeable

*Relief - alleviation, through the removal of pain, distress, oppression, etc.

*Announcement – the public or formal notice of something
*Background - one's origin, education, experience, etc., in relation to one's present character, status, etc.

*Ingrained - firmly fixed; deep-rooted; embedded

*Basis - anything upon which something is based; fundamental principle; groundwork.

Vocabulary Practice

1. Were you __________ of the problem before they informed you about it?

2. It was such a ___________ to find out that the tests came back negative.

3. It was ________________ in me as a child to always treat my elders with respect.

4. What is his educational _______________?  Did he attend college?

5. What is the _____________ for this decision?

6. There will be a public service __________________ about hurricane preparation coming soon.

Point of View

It is important that when teaching writing we also make students aware of point of view to ensure that their writing will be clear and that they will direct what they are saying to the appropriate and intended audience.  My blog was written in the first person because I am the narrator and I am directly involved in the story.  I also use the second person because I am directly speaking to all of the readers of this blog (you).  A sample written in the third person point of view would involve the subjects he, she, or it.  Read the sentences below and decide if it is written in the first, second, or third person point of view.

1. Mrs. Robinson and her son went to the supermarket this morning. _________________

2. You should have studied more last night to prepare for the exam. _________________

3.  We all attended the gala and had a wonderful time. ___________________

1 comment:

  1. Good article and interesting perspective on current events teaching!

    ReplyDelete